Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Cupcakes...who knew?

Who knew that cupcakes would be one of my favorite parts about being a mom? Aside from the overall concept that cupcakes are just about the most perfect treat imaginable - they are the perfect size, just the right amount of icing, portion control is built in (unless you eat the whole pan, which I am often tempted to try)...

But making cupcakes for Davis and Andrew has to be one of the most fun things I do. I don't do it often, mostly because I would eat the whole pan, but when I do it is SO fun. They love to spread their own icing, and it's really cool to see their technique improve. They've even moved past just eating the icing off the top (which we secretly all want to do) to eating the whole cupcake - at least for today.

Today I am making cupcakes for Easter parties tomorrow at school. I went to Target this evening in search of the 24-cupcake carrier so I would be organized and cool taking all these cupcakes to school in the morning. But after hauling both kids up to Target at 6:00 pm, they were in fact SOLD OUT of the 24-cupcake carrier. I've actually been waiting for months to buy this carrier. Being without one the night before the party is really sad, but my own fault for waiting until the last minute. I am not above checking Wal-Mart early tomorrow morning, though.

I'd love to say that I made these lovely little gems from scratch, but we got the "funfetti" mix and whipped up a couple of batches. The funfetti is, well, so fun with all those little candy bits in the cupcake and we were very excited about it all until...I forgot to put the candy bits into the first batch. This will be the batch we mostly eat at home. We'll let the kids at school enjoy the funfetti with us.

So now, I am on to icing 26 cupcakes and sprinkling the funfetti topping on them. As I am doing this, I'm listening to my sweet boys play upstairs, looking for dinosaurs and Davis's "not-so-scary monster", Malcolm. They are calling for me to come open the closet and help them look (yes, I still have door-knob covers on the closets) so I should go where duty calls.

No comments: